Self tanning review
     Self tanning…where should I start?! Well, first I would like to mention that getting a nice tan by laying out in the sun has never been successful for me. I am a red head with very fair skin, so you can imagine how quickly I burn, yet I always wanted to have a nice tan! Self tanning has become a great option for me while avoiding harmful rays from the sun. I was nervous to try self tanners because I wasn’t sure what the outcome would be like, and if it didn’t go well, I would have to deal with a bad tan for however long it lasts. Sometimes self tanners are too orange, streaky, or have a strong smell. After doing research and reading many reviews I have tried about five different self tanning brands so far. From experimenting, I found that I favor the mousses over the lotions and have a routine that works well. Loving Tan and Bondi Sands are two popular brands and I like different things about both of these.

Loving tan $34.95        4 fl oz (shade dark)
Pros
Loving tan is a great company and their customer service is very helpful. The shade dark in the mousse is an amazing color. It is not orange looking at all, instead you get a nice deep olive tan. When applying this, the dark color guard makes it easier to see what you are doing to avoid missing any spots. Right after application there is a slight scent of tanner, but as soon as it’s time to rinse off the color guard it is completely odorless! It is not streaky and I noticed that the tan becomes darker upon the second day. I cannot stress enough how nice this tanning color is! Loving tan also claims to use all natural ingredients with no parabens or alcohol. The bottle itself is easy to pump and I get about 7 full body tans by the time I finish a bottle, with each tan lasting for about 5 days.

Cons
With all self tanners you have to be careful around areas that tend to be a little bit more dry like your elbows, ankles, hands, and knees. Loving tan tends to cling to these areas quickly. Of course there are tips to help avoid that, so just be aware and make sure you lotion up! Sometimes it feels like it makes my skin a little dry, and unfortunately, on day 6 it starts to look a little streaky and patchy. That’s when you know it’s time to remove the tan, but it can be difficult to get all of it off. I use an exfoliating mitt which helps a lot but you really need to scrub in certain areas.






Bondi Sands $24          7.04 fl oz (shade dark)
Pros
Bondi Sands mousse in shade dark is also a great tan color. The application is simple and it blends so smoothly. This formula even dries pretty fast compared to the Loving Tan, so you don’t feel sticky in less than a half hour after applying it. Bondi Sands has a nice tropical coconut scent instead of a tanning smell and once its time to rinse, it is also odorless. When rinsing the color guard off, not much of the tan comes off with it and it looks very natural on the skin. It lasts evenly for a full week (even though it gets lighter as the week goes on) and I get about 8 or 9 tans per bottle. My favorite part about this tanner is that it fades away soooooo evenly and is easier to remove.


Cons
Although I love this color, it’s more of a medium-dark shade. It doesn’t develop as dark of a color that I expect it to be after one use. This tanner can also cling to dry spots if you do not prep before you tan. Although there is Aloe Vera and Coconut in this foam, there are still chemicals included, whereas Loving Tan has all natural and organic ingredients.





         Overall, I wish I had a tanner that was the color of Loving Tan, but faded away as evenly as Bondi Sands.  I truly enjoy both of these tanners, but I have been using Bondi Sands more, as the price is $10 cheaper with more product and it never appears streaky. Self tanning is something I do because I enjoy it. There are other products I have tried and more that I want to try. If you enjoyed reading about this and want to hear about other self tanners I have tried, comment below! I would also like to hear what you guys use.


xoxo Mikay

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction

Overcoming shyness